Re[2] : Recovery Scenarios - Help !!

  • From: "Prem Khanna J" <premj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Peter Gram" <peter.gram@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Mark W.Farnham" <mwf@xxxxxxxx>, "Giovanni Cuccu" <gcuccu@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 30 Nov 2004 11:07:56 -0000

Hi Peter, Mark & Giovanni ,
thanx for all ur replies.Got a better
idea,but still a few more questions.

Hi Peter :

>Case 3
>------
>You will not be able to open the database since the
>current redolog is missing.

In this case,why will i not be able to open the database ?
The only diff is i am not restoring from the backup.
RESETLOGS will anyway open the database ... even if it
inconsistent.is it not so ?

Hi Giovanni :

>Case 3:
>it depends on what you mean with inconsistent, oracle reopens the
>database restoring the db until a certain SCN. if you are able to
>reopen the db it's consistent, i.e you see only the results of all
>the transactions that were committed until that SCN.

when i open with resetlogs w/o restoring from backup in this
case, some of my comitted data may be the datafile and some
may not be.This is what i meant as in-consistent ( not sure
whether such a scenario is possibe !! )

All i need is to try these test cases on my test database.
Thanx again , everybody.

Regards,
Prem.