Re[1] : Recovery Scenarios - Help !!

  • From: "Prem Khanna J" <premj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Peter Gram" <peter.gram@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 29 Nov 2004 14:30:13 -0000

Hi Peter , thanx a lot for ur reply.
>>Case 1
>>------
>If  you lose the undo tablespace the instance will crash, after the recovery
>of the undo tablespace
>(asuming that you hae a backup and can appliy archive and redologs) >when the
>database starts it
>will do instance recovery and rollback all uncommited transactions.

When UNDO tablespace is lost , where from does oracle get
the information to rollback ? This is not very clear to me.

>>Case 2
>>------
>>I have lost my temp tablespace during a batch job which does lot of
>>sort/update.
>>- What will be the status of my batch job and         how do i recover by
>>temp tablespace now ?

>This depends on the way you have written the batch program :
>1)     If the batch program detects the problem and issues a rollback of the
>last uncommitted transaction and stops  you  don't
>        have a problem :-)
>2)     If the batch program just quits on error then Pmon will do the rollback
>of the uncommitted transaction.

So anyway , the transaction will be rolled back and
i'm safe . am i right ?

>>Case 3
>>------
>>I have lost an un-archived online redo log file.The proper recovery procedure
>>is :
>>- restore all datafiles from backup
>>- mount the database
>>- recover until cancel
>>- open resetlogs
>>
>>Without restoring datafiles from backup,Can i do this :
>>- mount the database
>>- recover until cancel
>>- open resetlogs

when i recover/resetlogs without restoring the
datafiles from backup , the database will be inconsistent
state ... am i right ?

Thanks and Regards,
Prem.