Re: Re: suddenly high "physical write" from statspack

  • From: "zhu chao" <chao_ping@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Yong Huang" <yong321@xxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 17:20:46 +0800

Hi, yong:
        As you noted, there are also some front users having "physical
write",I think it was caused by the sort. we can see that it is caused by
the "disk sort", as the physical write = physical direct write = physical
write non-checkpoint. Both Account and Eachpay user has the "physical direct
write", but from the whosort.sql output, it is only a small part of total
physical write. So I think it is not the disk sort that caused the so high
physical write.
    direct insert/load or import can only be done by DBA and it was 23:00
when the disk write increase, there should be no one working on the db. I
asked the other dba of the site, he did not do it. Nor did I do. And as the
physical write continues to be that high, it should not be because of such
Maintenance work.

        And the physical write has been so high since that day, now it is 2
times of disk read. From unix iostat log(I have cron run iostat hourly), the
physical write is also triple. I also checked the "db file parallel write"
wait event from statspack report, the wait time also increased.

        I carefully compared the statspack report before and after the high
physical write. It was about  23 pm, 18 Feb that physical  write suddenly
increased.  The statistics like redo/second , db_block_changes/second,
logical_read/second after 23PM(business begin to drop after 23:00) were all
lower than the statistics before 23:00. But only physical write increased.

        We saw similar things before. The physical write was very low when
the database just started, after it runs for 2-3 days(typical business
load), the physical write suddently increased and never drop down, kept on a
steady level. If I did a batch job(like table reorg etc, yes, we do table
reorg some times) after the database just started during the maintenance
time, then the physical write soon get to that steady level , not after a
typical run of 2-3 days. I guess it is because of some internal rule of the
dbwr write the cache. Or maybe a bug of oracle database? We are on 8.1.7.2
64bit. But this time the database has been running for almost one month.

        I will tell you how the disk write is after server reboot, as we
will have to reboot all the server because of the maintenance of telecome
server room.
        I attached the statspack report before and after the high disk
write. If you are still interested in the problem, you can have a look.
There is still other problems in the database:)

    Regards
Zhu Chao.