RE: RMAN: restoring autobackup spfile and controlfile

  • From: "Allen, Brandon" <Brandon.Allen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ag@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, <jkstill@xxxxxxxxx>, "Oracle-L Freelists" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2007 15:30:23 -0700

I saved myself the trouble of opening an SR by searching metalink for
bugs on maxseq and found bug 3449079 already exists for this issue.
Unfortunately it was closed with status "Documentation Bug Fixed", so
then I checked the documentation and sure enough, this behavior is
clearly documented
(http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/backup.102/b14194/rcmsynta
051.htm#i1036865):

"RMAN begins the search on the current day or on the day specified with
the SET UNTIL. On the first day searched, the search begins with
sequence number 256 (or the sequence number specified by MAXSEQ, if
provided) and counts back to sequence 0. If no autobackup is found in
the current or SET UNTIL day, RMAN checks preceding days, starting with
sequence 256 and counting back to 0. The search continues up to MAXDAYS
days (default of 7, maximum of 366) prior to the current or SET UNTIL
day. If no autobackup is found within MAXDAYS days, then RMAN signals an
error and the command stops."

It seems to me like it would be better to make the MAXSEQ parameter
apply to EVERY day being searched, but that's just my opinion and it's
not worth the effort to open an enhancement request that will probably
never be fulfilled anyway, so I'll just live with it.