Re: RMAN from Single to RAC instance

  • From: Mindaugas Navickas <mnavickas@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ab80cwb@xxxxxxxxx" <ab80cwb@xxxxxxxxx>, "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2012 16:22:05 -0800 (PST)

Hi Alex

I am pretty sure that using rman would be most straightforward way to do
migration to ASM (first to single instance)
1. Install and configure CRS - use cluvfy utility to verify your
installation/configuration
2. Install and configure (create ASM instance, allocate disks groups) ASM (in
11.2 must be in the same home as CRS, but since your version is 11.1, I would
create separate homes)
3. Install Oracle database home on both RAC nodes (make sure you install
RAC-enabled home)
4. On single node of target database "startup nomount" single instance
5. While your source database is live, make RMAN backup to disk and then
restore into target instance - do not forget to specify datafile name
conversion - database should be restored into ASM disks groups that you have
created) - duplicate database won`t work in 11.1 without creating backup to
disk.
6. leave target instance in recovery mode
7. ship all archived logs from source instance to target instance and apply
logs on target instance
8. on cut-over day apply up-to-the last log and open the instance - it will be
single instance database with datafiles, logfiles in ASM
9. migration from single instance to RAC is described in following Oracle
document http://docs.oracle.com/cd/B28359_01/install.111/b28264/cvrt2rac.htm ;

Basically this is a procedure, but you should fill up it with details.

Regards
Mindaugas Navickas