RE: RMAN and filesystem backups

  • From: D'Hooge Freek <Freek.DHooge@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "cicciuxdba@xxxxxxxxx" <cicciuxdba@xxxxxxxxx>, "ftilly@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ftilly@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Nov 2009 14:36:40 +0100

Acutally, you would need to have 2 times the size of the database on disk.
You my only remove the first backup if the second one is completed
successfully. Otherwise, If the backup from disk to tape of the first backup
failed, you have no (recent) backup on tape anymore.

We use this type of configuration for several of our customers, but we normally
specify that we need 3 times the db size (+ the archivelogs) of diskspace.
I don't like it very much myself, as it requires you to make sure the
filesystem backup is done after the rman backup is finished and (this is the
difficult part) make sure that it stays this way.

Regards,

Freek D'Hooge
Uptime
Oracle Database Administrator