Re: RAC / Database Services / Load Balancing / TAF Configuration

  • From: Mogens Nørrgaard <mln@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 00:17:32 +0100

Yeah, I think one Opteron dual-core CPU can match 10 (ten) Sun Ultra Sparc CPU's when we're talking sheer CPU power. Might not be the case if it's a batch system.

Kevin Closson wrote:

1. From what I understand, server-side load balancing is set up when you configure the listeners to register with each other

Please forgive if this is an ignorant question, but why would you plan to load balance before determining whether the entire load can be satisfied on a single node first? That is, if you take a workload that only demands, say, 50% of a single server and spread it nice, thin and evenly across several RAC nodes, you might not like what you see (inject sarcastic tone of voice).

Let me guess, you are migrating from Unix to Linux
and presume you will need a bunch of those "little
Intel-compatible servers" to match what you are migrating
from? Well, if you are migrating from a Unix box
that is on the order of 4 or 5 years old, you could easily
get by with a single 4-way dual-core AMD server. --
//www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l

-- //www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l