Re: Question about db links and tnsnames.ora

  • From: Thomas Day <tomday2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Oracle-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 09:00:27 -0800

I was just looking through Oracle9i Net Services Reference Guide,
Release 2 (9.2), Part Number A96581-02 and it has all the parameters
defined in detail --- it just doesn't really tell you how they work
together.

One doesn't always have the luxury of an Oracle Names environment.  I
have to work in a mixed environment.  Some of the databases are
described in Oracle Names, some have to be accessed via tnsnames.ora.
Some of them I can't touch the listener (or even see it's parameters),
others I set up the listener myself.

If I set up the whole thing then, "yes", all I need is the alias
(whether from tnsnames or onames).  If someone else set it up then the
fun begins.