Re: Question about RMAN Datafile + Archivelog Backups

  • From: Robert Freeman <robertgfreeman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Allen, Brandon" <Brandon.Allen@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "Oracle-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Dec 2009 15:24:49 -0800 (PST)

>>This simple change would probably have saved a few people their jobs over the
>>years J
Not to be curt, but understanding the software they are using (Oracle), the
tool they are using (RMAN) and *TESTING* their backup/recovery strategy would
be the better solution to saving those people's jobs. There is *no* excuse for
not being able to recover from a backup just because one forgot to use the plus
archivelog switch. It just means they were lazy and did not test their recovery
solution and the deserved to, at the very least, carry around perhaps five
pounds less flesh on their backside. Software is what it is, works like it
works, and unless it's buggy then you are responsible to use it as it's
intended. Suggest enhancements all day long, but if you choose to use the
software, know how to use it.

Cheers!

RF

 Robert G. Freeman
Oracle ACE
Ask me about on-site Oracle Training! RMAN, DBA, Tuning, you name it!
Author:
Oracle Database 11g RMAN Backup and Recovery (Oracle Press) - ON ITS WAY SOON!
OCP: Oracle Database 11g Administrator Certified Professional Study Guide
(Sybex)
Other various titles
Check out my new blog series on installing Oracle Database 11gR2 on Windows
using VMWare!

From:Robert Freeman [mailto:robertgfreeman@xxxxxxxxx]

I've always thought that the archivelog backup should be the default condition
with a switch to turn it off. Maybe it's a programitic constraint since the
same command (backup database) is used for both ARCHIVELOG and NOARCHIVELOG
mode backups.