Re: Q: does DirectIO on windows is supported on file systems ?

  • From: Sunil Bhola <oraclebhola@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mcdonald.connor@xxxxxxxxx, "Oracle-L (oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, AmihayG@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 06:49:30 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Gonen,

Direct I/O is depends on the operating system, you are using. Like in
UNIX/LUINUX/SOLARIS, you can use Direct I/O or File System's Buffer Cache. In
Windows there is nothing like O/S Buffer Cache. So you cannot use it. Yes you
can use Direct I/O in UNIX/LINUX/SOLARIS, for this you need to modify the file
system buffer cache.

In the Windows it uses DIRECT I/O, means the blocks are read directly from the
disk and passes to the application that is required this.

So when you are creating a Database in Windows you can use any block size. But
in UNIX/LINUX/SOLARIS you have to consider your FILE SYSTEM BUFFER CACHE. Say
your o/s file system buffer cache is 4k, then there is no use to define the
block size of 8k, as for any single i/o the o/s has to send the request twice.

Hope your issue has been solved :-)

QUERIES in Oracle, Feel free to Join:

Regards,

Sunil Bhola

Oracle_Expert, Moderator

Connor McDonald <mcdonald.connor@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Oracle database IO on windows is automatically direct IO akaik...

hth
connor

--
Connor McDonald

"Semper in excremento, sole profundum qui variat"

QUERIES in Oracle, Feel free to Join:

Regards,
Sunil Bhola
Oracle_Expert, Moderator