Problem with ALTER TYPE command

  • From: "Davey, Alan" <ddavey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Oracle-L" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2008 10:27:02 -0500

Hi,

I am getting an error when trying to execute:
>alter type target_kernel_demo
add attribute (num_periods integer) cascade;
alter type crabers.target_kernel_demo
*
ERROR at line 1:
ORA-22312: must specify either CASCADE or INVALIDATE option

I even specified 'cascade' in all caps, but Oracle didn't seem to
understand what I meant ;-)

There is another object that is dependent on this object type:
CREATE OR REPLACE
type tbl_target_kernel_demo is table of target_kernel_demo;
/

The strange thing is that the alter type worked fine on my development
database, but is failing on a test database.  The database version of
both is 10.2.0.3.0 and running on Windows.  It could be possible that
one has a different patch set though.

The Oracle Error book says that the alter type command could abort if
there were dependencies, but I can't find any others.  I also tried the
FORCE option but I got the same error message.

Does anyone have any other ideas of what I could look for or try?

Thanks,

Alan Davey
Senior Developer
Advertising Systems Group
Harris Corporation, Broadcast Communications
4 Century Drive
Parsippany, NJ  07054