Re: Printing extended ascii

  • From: De DBA <dedba@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gabriel.aragon@xxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 10:53:54 +1000

Hi Gabriel,

It seems to be a limitation of sql*plus. Some testing on my mac shows that even if the terminal encoding is set to ASCII and something like:

$ perl -e 'print chr(177)'

prints the expected plus-minus sign, a

SQL> select chr(177) from dual;

still displays the unwanted question mark. However the same query executed in tOra does return the plus-minus sign.

If that's correct you have 2 options: execute your query in a goowee tool or use ASCII art (_-=+><) instead.

Cheers,
Tony

On 25/03/10 4:58 AM, Aragon, Gabriel (GE, Corporate, consultant) wrote:
Hi list,
is there any way to print extended ascii? Let's say Im trying to make a
bar graph like:
select
....., '|'||rpad(fieldn,30,'X')||'|'
from
to display something like:
field1 field2 ... |XXXXXXXXXX|
but I want to replace the X for the square character, I think is ascii
176, 177, 178 or 219 but cant process ascii code besides 126. Is it
possible to do this?
10.2.0.4
Sun
UTF8