Preventative measures against slow V$RMAN_STATUS queries

  • From: "Rich Jesse" <rjoralist3@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 1 May 2014 09:26:16 -0500 (CDT)

Hey all,

The performance problems on the V$RMAN_STATUS fixed view is at it again for
me, this time on 11.2.0.3 on AIX 7.1.  I've got a bunch of new DBs that I've
created (and still creating more) and one of them had performance problems
last night with the view.  Collecting fixed stats has appeased the
performance for now.

MOS 1464844.1 recommends:

exec dbms_stats.gather_fixed_objects_stats(null);
exec dbms_stats.DELETE_TABLE_STATS('SYS','X$KCCRSR');
exec dbms_stats.LOCK_TABLE_STATS('SYS','X$KCCRSR');

My thoughts on this:

1) I need to address my stats collection of fixed objects.
2) Is there a downside to deleting/locking the stats on X$KCCRSR as part of
my DB creation script?

My gut tells me that the lock-stats workaround will come back to bite me
someday, but trying to come up with a more stable/elegant solution while in
the middle of an ERP implementation isn't high on my priority list.

Thoughts?

TIA!
Rich