RE: Point-In-Time

  • From: "Mark W. Farnham" <mwf@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lyallbarbour@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'oracle-l'" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2015 15:24:08 -0400

With storage as cheap as it is now I’d consider a switch to a physical standby
and do a clone/rename after pausing recovery at the time they want. (This has
worked since v6.0.37 or so.)

It also seems like a fine use case for Delphix technology, particularly if you
might want several generations (different points in time) available at the size
of one copy plus n likely small deltas instead of n full copies. (Disclosure: I
have several friends there who I consider “peers of the realm” vis-à-vis Oracle
technology, but no financial relationship.)

mwf