Re: Performance of DBMS_STATS vs ANALYZE

  • From: Connor McDonald <hamcdc@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 15:30:47 +0100 (BST)

Hi Charlotte,

One effective way of speeding up a dbms_stats is to throw a trace on the
process and then see what
took the longest.  More often than not its the big amount of sorting and
aggregation that goes on.

Some tweaks to crank up sort_area_size often work some magic !

hth
connor

 --- Charlotte Hammond <charlottejanehammond@xxxxxxxxx> wrote: > Hi Wolfgang,

> Thanks for that - I think I'll keep the histograms then! :-)
>
> Point taken about taking care over if/when to re-gather.
>
> Thanks
> - Charlotte

=====
Connor McDonald
Co-author: "Mastering Oracle PL/SQL - Practical Solutions"
ISBN: 1590592174

web: http://www.oracledba.co.uk
web: http://www.oaktable.net
email: connor_mcdonald@xxxxxxxxx

Coming Soon! "Oracle Insight - Tales of the OakTable"

"GIVE a man a fish and he will eat for a day. But TEACH him how to fish,
and...he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day"