Re: Performance of DBMS_STATS vs ANALYZE

  • From: Reginald.W.Bailey@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 23:23:34 -0500

Try turning on the monitoring of the tables with the ALTER TABLE procedure
.  This will gather statistics on tables that have changed more than 10% of
their rows.

 - In Oracle9i :

     SQL> exec dbms_stats.ALTER_SCHEMA_TAB_MONITORING('<owner>',TRUE);

     SQL> exec dbms_stats.ALTER_DATABASE_TAB_MONITORING(TRUE);

RWB
============================================================================================================

Reginald W. Bailey
IBM Global Services
reginald.w.bailey@xxxxxxxxxxxx
baileyre@xxxxxxxxxx
============================================================================================================

                    charlottejanehammond

                    @yahoo.com                 To:     oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

                    Sent by:                   cc:

                    oracle-l-bounce@free       Subject:     Performance of
DBMS_STATS vs ANALYZE
                    lists.org

                    05/19/2004 12:18 PM

                    Please respond to

                    oracle-l

Hi All,

Could I ask people's experience with DBMS_STATS with regard to performance.

When I run this:

   DBMS_STATS.GATHER_SCHEMA_STATS(
      OWNNAME=>'myschema',
      ESTIMATE_PERCENT=>'<<n>>',
      CASCADE=>TRUE);

It is anywhere between 3 and 4 times slower than a script containing

   ANALYZE TABLE myschema.<table> ESTIMATE STATISTICS SAMPLE <<n>> PERCENT
   FOR TABLE FOR ALL INDEXES;

for all the tables in my schema.  There are approx. 1000 tables, many of
which are empty.

I have tried this on 9.2.0.4 and 9.2.0.5 with similar results.

Is this typical?

Thanks

- Charlotte