PL/SQL vs Java in 10gR2 and up

  • From: "Brady, Mark" <Mark.Brady@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2010 17:42:59 -0400

This has been a Tom Kyte maxim for a few quite some time. I'm wondering if it
still holds true between PL/SQL and Java.

1.  Do it in SQL.
 2.  If SQL can't do it, do it in PL/SQL.
 3.  If PL/SQL can't do it, do it in Java.
 4.  If Java can't do it ask yourself if it needs to be done.

As versions progress often there are enhancements which correct deficiencies of
the past. Have such enhancements occurred to put Java on a more equal footing?
Is PL/SQL still the best method for scripting/stored procedure writing?

In addition to a yes or no, could you add any specific advantages in terms of
performance (vague, I know) that either one has over the other?

Mark Brady
Constellation Energy Group