Re: Overhead of table with empty partitions

  • From: TESTAJ3@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: jhthomp@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 12:13:40 -0400

That is the case I've seen thru the years, just make sure you're doing
table/partition/subpartition stats and on the associated indexes.

Joe

---------------------------------------
You can have it: Fast, Right or Cheap, pick 2 of the 3.
Fast + Right is Expensive
Fast + Cheap will be incorrect.
Right + Cheap will take a while.

"John Thompson" <jhthomp@xxxxxxxxx>

Sent by: oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

05/28/2008 11:57 AM
Please respond to jhthomp@xxxxxxxxx

From
"John Thompson" <jhthomp@xxxxxxxxx>
"oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
Overhead of table with empty partitions

Say I've got a table that's partitioned by day and has 30 days worth of
partitions.  Every 30 days I'll create another 30 days worth of partitions
and drop the previous 30 days worth.  Stats are running everyday so the
thinking is that having 29 or so days worth of empty partitoins will not
cause any SQL performance issues.   Testing has shown this to be the case,
but wanted to see if there's any insight on having many empty partitions.