RE: Orion, NFS, & File Size

  • From: "Allen, Brandon" <Brandon.Allen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Austin Hackett <hacketta_57@xxxxxxx>, "Oracle-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <Oracle-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2012 18:37:47 +0000

I've just been playing with Orion again recently myself and I think the way the
"-run oltp" works is that it runs 8k random reads at queue depths of (1-20 *
num_luns) where num_luns is the number of files/luns you have listed in your
.lun file (orion.lun in your case).  The Orion docs refer to "load" or
"outstanding IOs", which translates to queue depth (aka queue length).  So, if
you have 10 files listed, it should run at queue depths of 10,20,30...200.  Is
that what you're seeing in your csv files?  What do the full results look like
for your iops.csv and latency.csv files when you run Orion with 10 files/luns
specified?  If you put them all into a spreadsheet you should see that
IOPS*Latency=Queue Depth (according to Little's Law).  Have you tried
monitoring with sar or iostat to see if the results reported by your OS match
what you're seeing in Orion?