Re: Oracle vs SQL Server

  • From: "Sandra Becker" <sbecker6925@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2006 08:20:11 -0600

Thanks to everyone for the information and the links.  There are obviously
advantages/disadvantages to both Oracle and SQL Server.  They had already
determined that MySQL and Oracle Express are not robust enough before I
joined the company 4 months ago.  I didn't see where PostgreSQL was
available for Linux and our sys admins don't seem eager to make any
changes.

Based on your responses and my research, moving from Oracle to SQL Server
would be a time-consuming and costly effort for us.  We would have to
replace the Linux servers we just purchased as well as rewrite all of our
applications.  We develop software for a specific industry and use that
software to service our customers.  We use PL/SQL extensively in all our
applications.  We also use function based indexes, triggers, and arrays.
Management, with the exception of my immediate boss, also has expressed an
interest in partitioned tables, hot standby, and RAC.  I've had discussions
with the president and the CFO of the company about where we are, where we
want to be, and how do we get there.  Their vision is significantly
different from my boss.

I wanted more information so I could intelligently discuss our options.  I
have received that via this list.  Thanks again.

Sandy