Oracle strange behaviour when there is restric rowid

  • From: The Human Fly <sjaffarhussain@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2005 09:46:51 +0300

Hello list,

I have found Oracle strange behaviour many times that if a table has
restricted rowid, the query takes hell a lot of time. I will give you
one scinario which I am facing.
we have Oracle 9i database running on IBM AIX. We run reconsilation
batch job that generally takes 3 hrs of time.  In a batch, there is
particular process which runs for 45 min. Whenever, there is
restricted rowid found in the tables that involves in the query, takes
12 hrs. sometimes, takes 8 hrs.  By the way, we load data from a flat
file into our tables, this part of the batch actually.
If it takes more than 12 hrs. my colleagues use to  export those
tables into another database and running the this particular process
there, once it finishes creating output file, they bring back those
tables to this database. Why we do is that other  database has many
cpus and more memory.
What I have done yesterday is that, I played a trick, lik alter table
tablename move sametablespace; and rebuil all unusable indexes.
However, my question is that, when there is a restricted row found in
a table,  the query which has this table, runs very very slow.

--
Best Regards,
Jaffar, OCP DBA