Re: Oracle linux vs RH Linux

  • From: Tim Hall <tim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Tim Gorman <tim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2013 23:33:20 +0100

I recently went through the process of persuading my company to ditch
RHEL in favour of Oracle Linux. During the process I was repeatedly
asked the same questions by different people in the company, who were
getting conflicting messages and FUD from people who either didn't
understand what Oracle Linux was, or had a vested interest in us
sticking with RHEL.

To make my life easier I wrote this FAQ:

http://www.oracle-base.com/articles/linux/oracle-linux-frequently-asked-questions.php

I then passed it to Lenz Grimmer from the Oracle Linux team to
validate that what I said was true. I then pointed anyone in my
company with any doubts to this doc. When vendors tried to spread FUD
in an attempt to keep us on RHEL, I brought their attention to the
fact that someone from the Oracle Linux Product Management Team had
validated the document and the arguments stopped.

We have now moved most of our Linux installations from RHEL on
physical to Oracle Linux on VMware. That includes all WebLogic servers
and the Oracle database servers running on Linux. In the coming months
we will have no RHEL left on site and the only databases not running
on Oracle Linux will be a few running on HP-UX Itanium (shudder),
until their next hardware upgrade cycle, when they will probably move
the the virtual infrastructure too.

Everything is working great!

Bottom line, Oracle is written on Oracle Linux. Everything else is
essentially a port. What OS are you happiest with? :)

Cheers

Tim...