Re: Oracle buys Hyperion

  • From: "Dennis Williams" <oracledba.williams@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: andrew.clarke@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2007 19:27:11 -0600

Okay, I thought there used to be a great product -- Essbase -- a database
for Excel.
It did one thing and did it well.
But then Essbase was bought by Hyperion. I think they even lost the great
name. Some product managers got ahold of it and tried to "productize" it.
Spent a lot of money trying to merge all its features into a whole spectrum
of products. Problem is you would read the product literature and you
couldn't tell what you needed to buy to do the tasks you needed it to
accomplish. I stopped hearing people say what a great product it was.
    I get the sinking feeling of "here we go again" Yet another corporate
acquisition. Yet another group of product managers that will sit around and
try to figure out how to plug all the pieces together in the vain hope of
producing some product coherence.
   On paper, these acquisitions sound great. For $3.3 billion we acquire XX
percent market share, which amortized over a decade is worth $$$$$. Not
always so good for the customer.

I wish them well
Dennis

On 3/2/07, Clarke, Andrew <andrew.clarke@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> > don't know if it is good or bad but uncle Larry has gone shopping.

>>  As long as he doesn't buy Microsoft....

Unbreakable Windows?  Surely an idea whose time has come....

Cheers, APC

--
Mladen Gogala
http://www.mladen-gogala.com