Oracle VM, SE and RAC

  • From: Gints Plivna <gints.plivna@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Oracle L <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2010 11:08:09 +0200

Hello!

We are proposing a new system and trying to minimize licence costs. So
does anybody have used or probably have any comments on following
configuration:
There are two HP BL460c G6 Blade servers with two Intel Xeon
processors each and Oracle Linux as OS.
We will use 11g R2 Oracle SE with RAC (2 servers - 2 nodes) which is
OK from licensing viewpoint and also we have used such config before,
so I have no worries about that.
But here comes the tricky part. As the initial load won't be too heavy
we would like to use Oracle virtual machine for each server to use
only 1 processor, so we will need only 2 SE licences instead of 4.
From these papers it seems that it is possible:
- Oracle Real Application Clusters in Oracle VM Environments
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/clustering/oracle-rac-in-oracle-vm-environment-131948.pdf
- Soft/Hard partitioning
http://www.oracle.com/us/corporate/pricing/partitioning-070609.pdf
- Oracle Database Support for Server Virtualization
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/enterprise-edition/db-virtualization-support-133757.pdf
So the questions:
1. Does anybody can find any flaws in such model?
2. Does anybody have used Oracle VM with hard partitioning option?
Aren't there any nasty surprises?
3. Any other comments?

I'm not DBA and/or hardware guy therefore I'm quite cautios :)

TIA
Gints Plivna
http://www.gplivna.eu