Re: Oracle RPM Question - Please Help Me Answer This Question

  • From: Kenny Payton <k3nnyp@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: napacunningham@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2015 11:22:25 -0500

IMO

An RPM install is suitable for MySQL and Postgres since the vast majority (
have no proof on this one ) of installations are simple in nature. The Oracle
RDBMS is a complex database system that has infinite customization options and
is generally deployed in more sophisticated and challenging environments. The
cost alone assures me that the average joe looking to deploy a simple database
backend is not typically seeking Oracle as the solution. I suspect if a basic
Oracle RDBMS RPM was developed for installing the binaries and
creating/configuring a database it would rarely be used outside of
dev/test/playgrounds and would provide minimal usefulness to the average
customer.

On the other hand, the pre-installation RPM, and the ability to use a response
file for binary installation and/or database creation makes it possible to
automate the installation and configuration of new environments in a much more
customized configuration. If you were looking to deploy 100’s or 1000’s of
installations then you might want to look at something like Chef or Puppet to
fully customize the installs. I’m sure you could go build your own custom RPM
build to do this if that’s how you want to spend your time.

Adopting of standards goes way beyond a finite list of RPM’s to install.

Thanks,
Kenny

On Nov 13, 2015, at 11:09 AM, Michael Cunningham <napacunningham@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Our admins have explained to the executives that Oracle is their biggest
technical debt because there is no standard. They feel there should be an RPM
that is used for the install instead of the normal install process.

Can you please help me provide a response of why Oracle does not have an RPM
and why it is, or is not, a good idea to create a custom RPM?

Thanks,

--
Michael Cunningham