RE: Oracle OpenWorld and abstracts???

  • From: "Mark W. Farnham" <mwf@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <kevinc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 3 Jun 2006 15:57:37 -0400

A slightly longer answer is that OOW is not soliciting user papers directly,
but has allocated 100 user group sponsored papers to the various users
groups globally. Ask your relevant users group how to apply (and/or visit
their web sites). I'm not sure whether the ship has already sailed. I am not
sure how many slots each users group has of the 100. Presumably there is
some notion of a balanced allocation amongst the Ebusiness suite, acquired
Oracle Application suites, the continentally (and nationally in the case of
the UK) organized general Oracle technology groups, and possibly ODTUG. I do
not claim to know the details,
but I know for sure there will be user papers. Some groups may be using
"best of" selections from previous conferences, in which case there may be
no solitication at all from those groups. Chances of getting a paper
selected without knowing someone and having a track record seem to
correspond well to the chances of a snowball surviving the afternoon on a
beach in Miami in July.

As Kevin mentioned, there are sponsor allocated paper slots as well, and
possibly Oracle Press has some spots for authors.

I'm not sure what Kevin meant by "no longer." ;)  Slight quibble on
"strictly payola"; see snowball probability guide above. Oracle spoon-fed?
Well, not exactly, but playing nice at OOW has a pretty transparent and
predictable affect on Oracle's support to User Group conferences.

Regards,

mwf