Oracle Flash Recovery 10G and current Centralized RMAN backups to tape

  • From: <Paula_Stankus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <FREEMANR@xxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 17:41:06 -0400

Guys,

I have worked hard to setup a centralized RMAN catalog to make
backups/recovery and d/r easier to handle.  Now along comes 10G with
flash recovery whereby you create a database and separate I/O on the
same server (disk) and it automatically does a full database backup then
incremental backups periodically. =20

So... Has anyone considered how to use this and also use RMAN
centralized backup catalog going to tape????  Can I????  I think that
this would handle recoveries for only a period of time (constrained by
space on disk) and only provide a certain level of redundancy (as we
have it on the same host - different disk but same host) so I want to
have the cloned tapes and this available as well.  However, do I really
wish to administer this as well as my tried and true centralized RMAN
catalog and kshell scripts?

Any advice/opinions?

Thanks,
Paula