Oracle DBMS / GC named user license count

  • From: "Andre van Winssen" <dreveewee@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Oracle-L Freelists" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2007 09:22:40 +0200

Hi,
oracle recently did a soft audit in our organisation to find out what they
call "real usage" of Oracle database licenses. To do this they counted all
users of all databases, or, if the nr of Oracle usernames in a databases
(DBA_USERS) was low, they looked at license high water marks. That led to a
number of over 250 thousend named licenses, which is almost five times more
than we would expect.
Doesn't sound like a fair count to me.
This has great impact on use of partitioning option and the rollout of grid
control as these are linked to the database user count. What is the added
value of grid control if we cannot use the packs because of the rediculous
costs for it? Without Diagnostics pack we cannot set blackouts etc.

Btw, the product for doing this survey is called oracle satellite server.

What are your experiences with Oracle database/grid control license count?

Kind regards,
Andre