Re: Oracle Client showing time an hour behind

  • From: Yong Huang <yong321@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: saad4u@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 12 May 2010 08:51:50 -0700 (PDT)

> The dbtimezone doesnt matter?

I guess not. See point 3) of Notes 340512.1:

"The only function of the database time zone is that it functions as a time
zone in which the values of the "TIMESTAMP WITH LOCAL TIME ZONE" (TSLTZ)
datatype are normalized to the database timezone when they are stored in the
database."

That's not clear to me. I thought that meant if you insert a value say
'12-MAY-10 10.31.01.434514 AM' into a column of type TIMESTAMP WITH LOCAL TIME
ZONE, the internal representation of the data would be different depending on
dbtimezone. My test in two 10.2.0.4 databases with different dbtimezone's shows
that they're the same in block dump as well as select dump(column) from table.

Yong Huang