Re: Oracle 8i database reorg

  • From: Paul Drake <discgolfdba@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 10:59:37 -0700 (PDT)

--- Aaron Sentell <asentell1@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> I have a 30 GB Oracle 8.1.7 database that I would
> like to reorg and at the same time modify to use
> locally managed tablespaces. This is the first time
> I will be attempting something like this. Database
> downtime is not a big issue, but I still want to do
> it as quickly and efficiently as possible. I've read
> a 1999 technical document from the IOUG web site
> that describes how to do this using export/import,
> but I was wondering if anyone has any other
> methodologies that they prefer? BTW, I need the
> tablespace names to remain the same.
>
> Thanks,
> Aaron

Aaron,

In light of the recent discussions on
comp.databases.oracle.server concerning
"clustering_factor", what all do you plan on
accomplishing in the re-org?

Might you think of re-ordering the rows of data in the
heap tables?

Export and import means that you'll be moving data out
of the database, and back into it.

What I am suggesting has been recommended here before,
but I'll say it anyways:

if you have sufficient space available, why not
either:

1. rename, CTAS (create table as select - nologging)
new tables off of old tables into the new LMT, say a
tablespace at a time? This would allow for an order by
to cluster data more tightly (if desired).

2. alter table :my_table_name move
<new_LMT_tablespace>;
alter index :my_index_name rebuild
<new_LMT_tablespace> NOLOGGING;

by not moving data out of the database and back into
it, you should be able to accomplish the re-org much
more quickly than exp/imp.

You might want to take a look at Howard Roger's site.
He put up a paper a day or 2 ago on "Clustering
Factor".

btw - you really ought to think about migrating to
9.2.0.5 at this point.

hth.

Pd