Oracle 11g Advanced Security Option

  • From: Peter Barnett <regdba@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Oracle-l <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2008 13:17:22 -0800 (PST)

Is anyone using this product?  We have a need to encrypt one column in a table
for compliance reasons.  It looks like 9i or 10g TDE would do the job for us
but we build applications at the highest release available which is 11g.  The
quandry is that in 11g this appears to now be a separately licensed product.

If anyone has any real world experience with ASO I would appreciate hearing
about it.  It sure seems like a lot of money to encrypt one column.  On the
other hand, one of our competitors had a laptop with unencrypted PII stolen and
it ended up costing them millions so, it may actually be pretty cheap.

Thanks in advance.

Pete Barnett
Database Technologies Lead
Regence