Re: Oracle 11 'cold backup' while DB up.

  • From: Kevin Jernigan <kevin.jernigan@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: fuzzy.graybeard@xxxxxxxxx, oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2014 10:17:57 -0800

Storage Snapshot Optimization is a new feature in Oracle Database 12c that might be relevant to this discussion; see here <http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E16655_01/backup.121/e17630/osrecvry.htm#BRADV727> for details.

Note that this feature is part of the Advanced Compression option.

-KJ

--
Kevin Jernigan
Senior Director Product Management

On 1/8/14, 9:59 AM, Hans Forbrich wrote:
On 08/01/2014 4:56 AM, Howard Latham wrote:

The only way I have heard of achieving this is by having mirroring then temporarily Breaking the mirror and backing up the mirror . Any good opinions or Ideas on this would be welcome.

Aside from the well-discussed split-block problem, one concern I've often had about these magical snapshot operations is that they tend to include the entire temp tablespace, which is a waste of disk and potentially a waste of time.