One last question

Wolfgang,

One last question, and then I'm done for the night. Here's
that query again:

SQL> SELECT *
  2  FROM ( SELECT flag, TO_NUMBER(num) num
  3         FROM subtest
  4         WHERE flag IN ('A', 'C') )
  5  WHERE num > 0;
ERROR:
ORA-01722: invalid number

How can I know whether it is "num > 0" that is causing the
error? Could it be that TO_NUMBER(num) is being evaluated
*before* the subquery's WHERE clause filters out rows NOT IN
('A', 'C')?

In other words, how can I know that the problem I'm seeing
is really the result of the two queries being merged?

Best regards,

Jonathan Gennick --- Brighten the corner where you are
http://Gennick.com * 906.387.1698 * mailto:jonathan@xxxxxxxxxxx

Join the Oracle-article list and receive one
article on Oracle technologies per month by
email. To join, visit http://five.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/oracle-article,
or send email to Oracle-article-request@xxxxxxxxxxx and
include the word "subscribe" in either the subject or body.