RE: OT: Apress ebooks $10 starting Friday

  • From: Iggy Fernandez <iggy_fernandez@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2015 21:40:37 -0800

re: I wonder how the authors earn royalty on their books

Royalties are typically 10% of the publisher's revenue.
Assume that the Amazon list price is $40.
Assume that the publisher's revenue is $20 of that. (The rest is Amazon's
revenue, not the publisher's revenue)
The author gets $2 per book.
A modestly successful book can expect to sell about 3000 copies over the
five-year useful life of the book.
Therefore a modestly successful book will generate about $6000 in royalties
over the five-year useful life of the book. Assume a minimum of 500 hours to
write the book. That works out to $12 per hour, paid out over a five year
period.
It is not uncommon to have two or three authors, so the royalty will have to be
shared.
Less successful books will sell far fewer copies.
The royalty on a $10 ebook will be $1.

From: Hemant-K.Chitale@xxxxxx
To: iggy_fernandez@xxxxxxxxxxx
CC: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: OT: Apress ebooks $10 starting Friday
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2015 03:45:40 +0000

I wonder how the authors earn royalty on their books.

Hemant K Chitale