Re: OT - Advice for the Oracle Newbie

  • From: stephen booth <stephenbooth.uk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Patty.Charlebois@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2005 16:06:39 +0100

On 18/09/05, Patty.Charlebois@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
<Patty.Charlebois@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I am trying to put together a *Newbie DBA Handbook* to be used for new hires
> at my company and thought I would poll the list for topic suggestions.
> So my question to you is, if you could give a new Oracle DBA one piece of
> advice, what would it be?

Remember that you can't know everything, and neither can a consultant.
 What you can do is collect a decent set of documentation, web links
and books to refer to when you need them.  Even if you did know the
database inside and out, there's always the OS, the network and the
application to throw you a curve ball.

I've just spent most of the last week trying to solve a problem that
turned out to be caused by a NetApp consultant setting the wrong
option on an NFS mount but, when I suggested the problem might be the
NFS options, swearing that they were perfect.  So, I suppose, that a
second piece of advice would be to not be intimidated by consulatants
who supposedly know more than you.  They might not.

Stephen