ORA-4030 8.1.7.4 AIX - No Clue - Memory Added - Never Released

  • From: "Post, Ethan" <Ethan.Post@xxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 11:33:25 -0600

We have a situation in which we are hitting an OS limit of 500MB for PGA
and getting 4030 error.  We have instrumented the code in question and
we see steady growth of PGA.  Code contains 2 loops, outer loop and
inner loop.  The memory is being added in inner loop but we are not sure
where.

The inner loop contains a number of open/close cursor calls but it
appears all of the cursors are being closed.

The inner loop makes one call to another procedure which does NOT close
cursors.

STRANGE THING IS =3D I wrote my own code in which I repeatedly called a
procedure which opened a cursor, fetched into a variable declared using
%ROWTYPE, then exited without closing.  I could not see any growth in
the amount of memory used.  So if this is the problem I can not seem to
replicate it.  We are in the process now of adding CLOSE statements and
retesting. =20

There is one other area we think the problem might be, which is
messaging (messages stored in array during run of job), however I have
been assured that prior testing validated that removing messaging had no
effect on the amount of memory used.

The next step is to add a ton of instrumentation (we are logging the
size of the PGA/UGA) and try to determine the exact spot in the
procedure where the memory is added but never released.

CURSOR_SPACE_FOR_TIME was true, we have tested setting false and no
effect.
SESSION_CACHED_CURSORS was 50, we changed to 0 along with above and no
effect.

Any ideas here?  Is there any way I can try to dump memory for the
session or something and try to determine which objects are utilizing
all the memory, any X$ tables etc...I know there is a way to find out
how much memory some objects are utilizing but not sure if there is a
way to find out how much memory a particular array or cursor is using.

Thanks,
Ethan