Re: OPTIMIZER MODE

  • From: Frits Hoogland <frits.hoogland@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lambu999@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2010 13:49:19 +0200

Ram,

Jonathan Lewis has a good blogpost about this:
http://jonathanlewis.wordpress.com/2008/11/11/first_rows_n/. Randolf Geist has
also done a presentation on FIRST_ROWS (actually FIRST_ROWS_n to be precise) on
last year's UKOUG.

In essence:
a) general advise is to use ALL_ROWS, unless your system generally only uses
the first rows the query returns. Most systems use the entire query resultset.
b) if you already have your system running on FIRST_ROWS, a change of optimizer
mode will impact your entire system, so not just change it.

frits