Re: OCP - Hotsos SQL Optimization

  • From: Chip <ocp-dba@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 23:18:59 -0600

The Hotsos SQL Optimization course is worthwhile - their SQL test
harness includes statistical snapshots along with 10046 and 10053 event
traces.  Also, the class SQL examples demonstrate many cost based
optimization issues along with encouraging scientific experimentation.
The SQL test harness is open source so class attendees can install and
modify the harness on their own databases (provided CD includes the SQL
test harness and class examples).
Looking forward to SQL test harness improvements (possibly a forum on
the Hotsos web site) and returning to this course at the alumni rate
(bit easier on my wallet).

A "disadvatage" of the Hotsos SQL test harness is the additional DBA
work involved in setting up unit testing databases so developers can
experiment on their own (including bouncing their database to see the
optimizer mode differences for a SQL statement).

Note: I can share a wish with my employer for this course to be brought
on-site for developers and DBA's.

Have Fun :)