RE: Not able to find data file on server but database is working fine

  • From: "Elliott, Patrick" <patrick.elliott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Harvinder.Singh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2007 15:05:15 -0500

If the file was deleted outside the database, then it will still be held
open while the database is running.  The database sees the file because
it is still holding the i-node for the file.  If this is what happened,
then I would quickly create a new tablespace and move everything out of
the one that has the hidden file.  Otherwise, you will lose all of the
data in the tablespace when the database goes down.  The only way to
recover the file will be to do a recovery from backup and apply the
archive logs.

The only other situation that I can see causing this might be file
permissions.

Pat