No oacdef for this bind – trace file

  • From: Joe Smith <joe_dba@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2009 19:45:27 -0600

What does this mean in a trace file? This is Oracle 10gRel2 on Solaris 10 32bit
with Trusted Extensions.

We use C++ and the OCI to execute sql statements.  This entry is in the trace
file for the particular sql statement.  The statement executes although the
developer believes it should fail (long history, years, he did not write the
original code).  There is a mismatch in the sql statement with bind variables
and the way the C++ file is passing the values.  I think,  I am not a C++
coder.   The original developer thought it was passing by bind value , but it
is passing be position ( somebody told me).  The statement appears to work
though and update one row in a table.

There is not much on metalink and the oracle docs for C++.  I have read that it
could be coming from the client, or “no separate bind buffer exists.”

Has anybody ever seen this and what does it mean?

Thanks.