Re: Multiple installed versions of Oracle

  • From: stephen booth <stephenbooth.uk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tracy.rahmlow@xxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2005 18:09:21 +0100

On Apr 5, 2005 3:55 PM, Tracy Rahmlow <tracy.rahmlow@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Several occasions where server and db crashed due to dba administering db
> in an incorrect manner.  IE mistook one version for the other.  Applied
> the incorrect maintenance patch to the incorrect instance.

I've worked in a number of shops where one machine hosts a number of
instances, sometimes a dozen or more per machine.

I can think of one occasion where something similar to what your
systems manager described has happened.  A contractor (employed from
an overseas agency, because they were cheap) logged into the wrong
database and essentially 'dropped' it and deleted the datafiles.  He
realised what he'd done, tried to fix it, realised that he couldn't
without revealing what he'd done so covered his tracks then disapeared
back to his home country.  Because of him covering his tracks we never
discovered what he'd actually done, the agency never told us what
became of him.  The only solution was to restore the previous backups
then apply the redo logs (which had, fortunately, survived.

As it happened the databases were on entirely different machines, they
just had similar names (one was the live production database and the
other was a QA/reporting copy that was refreshed once a week) so that
puts a bullet in the idea that putting them on different servers makes
them safe.

The best protection seems to be to encourage everyone to think before
they do and to make sure that they have enough time to think.  Rushed
people make mistakes.

Oh, and don't go for the cheap option, it's not cheap.

> Several occasions where db versions did not play nice together 7.3.4 and
> 8i.

I've had 7.3.4 and 8i together ont he same machine under Windows 2000,
HPUX 9 and Solaris 7 through 9 with no problems.  Where I've seen
peoole having problems it's usually been down to things like trying to
install both versions into the same home.  If I had a cent for every
time I've seen someone try to do that (or I've had to clear up the
mess after they've tried it) then I'd have $3.67.

A case of engage brain before putting fingers into gear.

Stephen