Re: Multiple (SYSADM) Schemas in a Peoplesoft Database

  • From: Nuno Souto <dbvision@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 May 2009 17:51:38 +1000

David Kurtz wrote,on my timestamp of 21/05/2009 2:14 AM:
It is supported, but it is not recommended by PeopleSoft/Oracle.

My take on that is very few people have even bothered trying
it and neither Oracle nor Peoplesoft ever encouraged it.

Which flies in the face of the "run lots of apps on a single
instance with RAC", "server consolidation" and all
the other yadda-yadda of Oracle marketing...

There are a number of drawbacks including and not limited to:
* You have to back and restore the databases together.  The only to backup
and restore one of several PeopleSoft databases in the same Oracle database
would be via export/import.

You have to back all instances anyway, so
having to back up one large instance or two smaller ones
makes no difference whatsoever.

* If the database goes down, then all the PeopleSoft systems become
unavailable.

True.  But is that still the case if it is on RAC?

* If all the databases are in the same database server then the same
database parameters apply to all.  You cannot control them separately.

True.  But with login triggers, it is simplicity itself
to set different parameters for each session connecting
as each schema owner/psdbowner.  I do this regularly to
run multiple applications in the same instance, each on
its schema.  Why should it be different for Peoplesoft?

In the end there is very little saving to be made, and it is at the price of
considerable complication and loss of flexibility.
I simply would not do it.

Disagree. UNDO and temp disk space are not trivial or
"little" savings.  Further, RAC is a common push from Oracle:
to have multiple RAC instances on multiple RAC clusters
is simply prohibitive from the licensing and hardware
resources point of view.
And no: disk is most definitely NOT cheap.

Unfortunately, no one is taking the right message
to the PPS/Oracle responsible people.  Maybe a few
public outings will change that?

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto