Re: Moving Oracle RAC VMs from Linux to Windows

  • From: Mikael Sandström <micke.sandstrom.oraclel@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2017 10:19:16 +0200

Hi,

If all else fails, you could use this: https://github.com/oravirt/vagrant-vbox-rac if you want to quickly rebuild your environment (the whole cluster or to just provision the infrastructure and manually install GI etc).

regards
/Micke
On 04/24/2017 09:29 AM, Anand Rao wrote:

Hi,

I have setup an Oracle 11g R2 RAC on two OLE 6.3 nodes using VirtualBox 5.1. The host OS is OLE 7.1 and the test setup was just using a single hard disk.

Managed to export the VMs from OLE 7.1 and import them to my laptop which runs Windows 10.

After some changes to the settings, the OS did boot but CRS failed which i think is due to the ASM disks. Checked the CRS logs, etc. and it was indeed the "missing "voting disks.

On my Linux Host (OLE 7.1), the ASM disks were /dev/asm-disk1 and so on. On Windows they are named ASM-disk1.vmdk and so on.

I did try to remove and add shareable storage in VirtualBox on Windows but i think something is missing here. The shareable storage from Windows is not being pickup by the OLE 6.3 Virtual Host.

Does anybody know how to make these "virtual ASM disks" shareable so that Linux can see it? Is there a guide i can follow to setup a Windows based VM for Oracle 11g RAC?

I am just hoping that I can reuse the whole setup as it is.

Thanks,
Anand