RE: Move from Veritas to ASM

  • From: "Kevin Closson" <kevinc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "oracle-l" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 07:40:38 -0700

ASM just needs disks (or some storage exposed to ASM as Disks)
and if you can expose (!) VxFS volumes as ASM disks, ASM will happily
manage the disks.

...ok that trick requires the setting of an undocumented parameter
(_asm_allow_only_raw_disks=FALSE) which would compound how bad an idea
it would be to layer as "file system/volume manager" on top of Veritas
VxFS.

As an aside, you can use files in NAS as "disks" for disk groups in ASM.
I think that is rediculous and that opinion is echoed (to a degree) in
NetApp and EMC papers I refer to in my blog.

Lots of related stuff here:
http://kevinclosson.wordpress.com/kevin-closson-index/cfs-nfs-asm-topics
/