RE: More on Subquery Madness

  • From: Wolfgang Breitling <breitliw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Oracle-L Freelists <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 11:38:41 -0700

Me thinks so too.
But then I have a problem with this entire "order of execution" argumentation.
E.F.Codd set out specifically to exclude any procedural thinking, any "how"
thinking from his relational model. All one should be concerned with is to
describe the "what", the resultset.
I am coming back to using NULL for undefined/unanswerable predicates such as
"to_number" of an argument that does not represent a number
or
"the radius of an ellipsis" if it is truly an ellipsis and not a circle

If you take that route then the order of the restrictions does not matter and
either path yields the same resultset, which is all that matters.

--
regards

Wolfgang Breitling
Oracle 7,8,8i,9i OCP DBA