Re: Migration from Oracle TO MySQL

  • From: Kellyn Pot'vin <kellyn.potvin@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "uwe@xxxxxxxxxxxx" <uwe@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, oracle-l digest users <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2013 09:00:01 -0700 (PDT)

My last company did migrate a major web facing Oracle DB to MySQL.  The
application collected views and clicks, etc. from the web and Oracle simply had
too much "required redundancy" in it to guarantee ACID that MySQL ended up
being the answer.  No tool was used to migrate to the new environment.  The
database was redesigned and then enhanced to a sharded MySQL server farm that
required the DBA, who was primary on the project, to update/rewrite most of the
code to be compliant with MySQL.  A wonderful MySQL DBA was hired at the end of
the project and he implemented partitioning, along with other enhancements,
creating a simple, but robust MySQL database environment that, per a
conversation just last month, is still humming along like a champ!  Nothing was
wrong with Oracle, it just wasn't the right tool for this job.
I only *slightly* remember discussions on migration tools, but those were
thrown out pretty early on in the project and so much of the work from that
company was done with proprietary code, so I'm not surprised.

Kellyn Pot'Vin
Senior Technical Consultant
Enkitec
DBAKevlar.com