Migrating Oracle Names to 10g OID

  • From: "Jesse, Rich" <Rich.Jesse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <Oracle-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2005 11:27:06 -0500

I'm researching how to migrate Oracle Names (8.1.7.4, if that matters)
to OID 10g.  Problem is that I can't find any information on how to even
*install* OID in 10g.  Has anyone figured out how to install 10g OID
standalone?  I've opened a TAR on it, but the response I was given was
terse, incorrect, and incomplete.  I'm afraid to try it again...

What I'm looking to do is install OID 10g into an existing 10.2 DB on
Linux (I'll say "RedHat" for the sake of argument).  At best, I've found
vague references to the Repository Creation Assistant which is
apparently required for OID, but the documentation on that is even
incorrect at best.  It says the DB must be "... or 10.1.4.0 or better".
Apparently that doesn't include 10.2, because it fails the minimum DB
requirement.  Perhaps I need to also install Oracle 10.1 software and
create a 10.1 DB?

It's a shame that Oracle recommends using a product (Oracle Names), says
then to migrate to a newer product (OID), but doesn't provide
instructions on how that's supposed to happen.  Of course, after
downloading the Oracle AS suite (apparently that's where the OID
software is now???) I received the obligatory call from Sales asking
what I thought of it....

Has anyone successfully installed 10g OID into an existing DB?  If so,
how???

TIA,
Rich

Rich Jesse                        System/Database Administrator
rich.jesse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx      QuadTech, Sussex, WI USA