RE: Microsoft Excel vs. Oracle discoverer

  • From: "Murching, Bob" <bob_murching@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'juancarlosreyesp@xxxxxxxxx'" <juancarlosreyesp@xxxxxxxxx>, "'oracle-l'" <Oracle-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 09:50:56 -0400

Discoverer lets you aggregate and report (dynamically) on a much larger set
of data than Excel typically is comfortable with.  Therefore I treat
Discoverer as a tool by which a user can identify or create the subset of
information that he or she is interested in.  Once they have sliced and
diced to get the "chunk" of knowledge they are looking for, I certainly
agree with you that Excel is the better tool for dressing it up for
presentation purposes.

We've also seen Discoverer act a hybrid query/research tool that can cut
down on development time.  We have "quality control" users who are trying to
find a single errant record in a 10 million record table and we typically
built query forms for them.  We have "analyst" users who want to drill
through 25% of that same 10 million record table and we typically built a
separate Oracle Reports-type report for them.  With Discoverer, we can
expose the table in a manner that fits the needs of both users---at the same
time.  You just have to be very careful thinking through the risks involved
with exposing a particular set of data via Discoverer instead of query forms
and canned reports.