RE: Many locks on the same table

  • From: "Goulet, Richard" <Richard.Goulet@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <alex@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "Oracle I List" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2010 07:19:49 -0400

Alex,

    Along with the others it's kind of hard to say much with knowing
more about what is going on.  Locks are a normal part of database
operation and are to be expected.  Additionally you mention that the
table has millions of rows with lots of people accessing it.  Are any of
the locks blocking other sessions?  If not then they are not a problem.
Are the locks held for extended periods of time thereby creating a
blocking situation, if not then they are not a problem.  I do not
understand some people's  apprehension of database locks.  So long as
they do not prevent database operations and make for unhappy clients
then they should be ignored.

Dick Goulet
Senior Oracle DBA/NA Team Lead
PAREXEL International