RE: MTS for 5,000 All-at-Once Users?

  • From: JApplewhite@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 15 May 2004 21:15:57 -0500

Riyaj,  Responses inline...
I guess, we need more details about the architecture. Is this a 3tier
architecture?

JCA - No. It's Client/Server. 5,000 PCs will be running the Client
executable and connecting via ODBC to the database.

You say "Upload", does it mean some kind of file upload takes place and
another process processes the files?

JCA - The teachers use a Client app to enter all their attendance data
into a local file on their PC. When they finish, they hit the Upload
button (or something like that) and the Client app connects to the
database and does all the Inserts/Updates (I'm not sure which - I need to
trace that process to find out.)

   Assuming 2tier connections without any connection pooling, MTS might be
a way to go. Process creation/death for 5000 connections in 20 minutes
might be suboptimal with dedicated server approach.
   30 students/5000 users approximately turns to 150000 DML statements
within 20 minutes. Approximately 7500 DML statements/minute. I would
venture to guess that 4 CPUs@3GHz should be able to handle that. You might
want to reduce the work during that 20 minutes with variety of approaches
such as:
a) preinserting data and updating only the students who are absent
b) bulk DML statements
c)With increased concurrency on the objects
d)Avoiding log switches during that 20 minutes
e) Use of bind variables
f) avoiding space management calls etc.

JCA - Can't do a, b, or e, since this is a COTS app and we can't alter the
code.  However, d and f are good suggestions.  I can certainly make sure
the redo logs are big enough and switched before the deluge and that the
approximately 200 - 400 tables that will be hit have sufficient empty
extents allocated.  The rotten design of the app actually works to our
advantage in this case. Each School has its own Attendance tables, so
there will only be contention among a few dozen Teachers for each table
set - not 5,000 Teachers hitting the same table.

JCA - Thanks and TIA for any other suggestions.

Jack C. Applewhite - Database Administrator
Austin (Texas) Independent School District
512.414.9715 (wk)
512.935.5929 (pager)

   May have come a long way, but we got a long way to go.
                                    -- B.W. Stevenson
Notice:
If you use this email nefariously, you are scum - probably criminal scum.
Beware.
The opinions I express herein are NOT the official policy of AISD, the
City of Austin, the State of Texas, or the U.S. Government; but they
probably should be.

Riyaj Shamsudeen <rshamsud@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
05/15/2004 03:42 PM
Please respond to oracle-l

        To:     oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
        cc:
        Subject:        RE: MTS for 5,000 All-at-Once Users?

Hi Jack
                 I guess, we need more details about the architecture. Is
this a
3tier architecture? If yes, how does your middle tier handles the DB
connections ? You say "Upload", does it mean some kind of file upload
takes place and another process processes the files ?
                 Assuming 2tier connections without any connection
pooling, MTS
might be a way to go. Process creation/death for 5000 connections in 20
minutes might be suboptimal with dedicated server approach.
                 30 students/5000 users approximately turns to 150000 DML
statements within 20 minutes.Approximately 7500 DML statements/minute. I
would venture to guess that 4 CPUs@3GHz should be able to handle that.
You might want to reduce the work during that 20 minutes with variety of
approaches such as:a) preinserting data and updating only the students
who are absent b) bulk DML statements, c)With increased concurrency on
the objects d)Avoiding log switches during that 20 minutes e) Use of
bind variables f) avoiding space management calls etc.
HTH

Thanks
Riyaj "Re-yas" Shamsudeen
Certified Oracle DBA